Black mold is a fungus that can grow in your house and become a health hazard for everyone living inside. It feeds on organic matter and is usually a greenish-black color. If it is wet it will look slimy but can also be dried out and still active. This mold produces toxins that float through the air and are inhaled by people and animals.

exposure symptoms

If you are exposed to black mold you will begin to notice symptoms that range in effect. You may notice respiratory problems, itching, sneezing, sore nose and throat, headaches, skin irritation, and coughing. These are not the only symptoms, black mold is known to cause many more health problems including skin infection, depression and pneumonia. This type of mold needs to be treated immediately upon discovery.

where does it grow?

It grows in warm areas that are also usually damp and dark. Leaking in a home will often present the perfect conditions for this mold to begin to grow. You most often will find it in basements, kitchens, and bathrooms. Black mold typically feeds on building materials so you will find it on things like walls, wood, and furniture.

removing black mold

If the mold in question has reached a size of larger than 10 square feet it is too big to deal with on your own. You risk not only your own health but also incorrectly removing it will allow it to return to the home to cause even more damage. First, you will want to cut off any water from the area so that the mold cannot keep growing. You will need to scrub the mold with a brush and a commercial mold removal product until it is all gone from the surface. If the mold keeps returning or it is too big, call certified professionals like Water Damage Zone to solve the problem once and for all.

Sewage Damage Restoration Services
Mold Remediation