Hanging lights is fun around the holidays but it can become dangerous if not done correctly. Any electrical wiring used for lighting and decorations is a fire risk and should be double-checked by adults. Follow these guidelines when using lighting around your home.

Lighting the Tree

Only use lights that are labeled for use indoors and safe for use on your tree. Products that are properly tested will include a label from a testing factory as well to ensure safety. Never wrap lights around a metal tree because this could become a fire hazard. Use as many outlets as possible so that you won’t overload them from using a lot of electricity. Make sure to hide cords and place them out of reach of small children and animals.

Outdoor Lighting

Your outdoor lights should be labeled for use outside so that they are weather-resistant. Otherwise, you will end up with lights that become quickly damaged and can turn into a fire. Do not use nails or staples to secure lighting to your home because they may cut through the wire and create a hazard. Even if they are labeled for use outside, lights should only be left up for a maximum of 90 days. Lights left out for too long will degrade and become dangerous.


Using real candles is discouraged if you have children or pets because of the likelihood that they will cause a fire in your home. A few candles are nice, but you should mostly use LED candles to light your home around the holidays. These still have the nice ambiance of real candles without the risk of your home being swallowed up in flames. Keep candles away from plants, furniture, and presents. Always burn them in an area easy to see and made out of flame-resistant materials.

Mold Remediation
Mold Remediation in Los Angeles